There are a few ways you can discover Mount Teide : on foot or with the cable car. There are only a happy few that can manage the climb to the top. If you prefer the more luxurious way to get to the top, then the cable car is your best option.
Prices for the cable car to go up Mount Teide
Visiting the wonderful National Park is one thing, but going up Mount Teide is a whole other experience! At the base of the cable car you will be at around 2.356 meters and the modern cable car will take you up to around 3.555 meters in under 8 minutes. Not for the faint of heart!
Due to the huge popularity of the cable car, it is strongly advised that you book your ticket in advance through the official website. You can order a ticket for one way (if you plan on hiking up or down) or both ways, if you prefer the easy way.
- Adults (non-residents) both ways : 27€
- Adults (residents) both ways : 13.50€
- Children (non-residents between 3 and 13 years old) both ways : 13.50€
- Children (residents between 3 and 13 years old) both ways : 9.50€
- One way ticket Adult (non-residents) : 13.50€
- One way ticket Adult (residents) : 9.50€
Important information regarding the cable car
When you decide you want to take the cable car up Mount Teide it is important to take a few things into consideration.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the time listed on your ticket at the base station, in order for you to have enough time to park.
- When you book the ticket for a specific time, it does not mean that you will board the cable car at that exact time. It is the time at which you redeem your ticket at the entrance. Depending on the amount of passengers waiting, it usually doesn’t take more than 30 minutes before you can board the cable car.
- You do not need to print the ticket, just download it on your mobile device and show it on the screen.
- You can not book a specific time slot to descend with the cable car, you just have to wait in the queue in order to get back down.
- If you arrive late at the cable car or if the cable car is closed due to adverse weather conditions, you can change your date or time, free of charge online or at the ticket office. The ticket itself is valid for 1 year.
- You can cancel your ticket free of charge at any time online, when the cable car is not functioning on the day of your ticket. Or you can cancel it for any other reason with a 6€ per person administration fee.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE : it is not advised for children under the age of 3 years old to ascend Mount Teide due to the chance of altitude sickness. If you do wish to ascend the volcano with a child under 2 years old, you will need to fill in a form at the base station in which you accept full responsibility.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE : You can not go on the cable car if you are pregnant or if you have heart problems due to the sudden change of pressure and the change in oxygen levels.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE : People with a fysical disability are not allowed on the cable car. You have to be able to take a few steps in order to get into the car itself without any help. Furthermore, if the cable car stops operating and you find yourself at the top station, you will have to walk down the mountain following steep mountain paths.
- Pets are not allowed on the cable car! And you can not bring any large objects onto the cable car.
- If you want to go walking on one of the two trails on Mount Teide for which you do not need a permit, you can stay for maximum 1 hour due to conservational reasons. Also due to the fact that the risk increases of altitude sickness the longer you stay at this altitude.
- When you have a permit to access the peak of Mount Teide you can stay for a maximum of 2 hours.
- There are both toilets at the base station and the upper station that remain open all the time during operating hours.
Timetable cable car
The cable car only operates with favourable weather conditions and can close at any given time when the weather changes.
- During winter time from the day we change to wintertime until the end of June the cable car is open from 9am till 4pm. The last ascent is at 4pm and the last descending cable car is at 4:50pm.
- From July to the end of September the cable car is open from 9am till 7pm. The last ascend is at 6pm and the last descending car is at 6:50pm.
- In October until the time changes to wintertime the cable car is open from 9am till 6pm. Last ascend at 5pm and last descend at 5:50pm.
- Parking at the cable car base station is permitted between 8am and 6pm in wintertime, between 8am and 8pm in summertime and to 7pm in October until the time changes to wintertime. Access in and out of the car park is prohibited outside these times.